Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 3 - Elementary school visit in Bintan

*Yawn*. A brand new day! I popped my head out of my shell at approximately 9am and head into my pool for a quick morning dip.

After having breakfast at Treetops, I was picked up by the team from the Bintan Conservation Lab, headed by Henry our Lab Manager. We were going to bring our Seedlings children to a local elementary school. If you have read a previous posting of mine, Seedlings is Banyan Tree’s group-wide initiative to build capacities in young people within local communities.

This visit, two Seedlings participants were going to speak to the elementary school children on local wildlife and encourage conservation of our environment. This would help the Seedlings youths gain confidence in public speaking and develop leadership qualities that will hold them in good stead in the future.



The elementary school children seemed fascinated with all the photos of local wildlife and kept interrupting to ask questions!

After the hour-long session and answering many questions, we said ‘bye’ to the many happy children, with plans to come back soon.




On the way out, we visited an Angsana Tree recently planted in April 2009 by the chairperson of the CSR committee, Ms Claire Chiang. The tree looks to be doing well too!



We took a drive back to the resort, happy that our morning was well-spent and fruitful. Back in my villa, I ordered some food, and went back to bobbing around the pool, getting ready for sleep and a long rest as I would be leaving Banyan Tree Bintan the next day, back to swimming around in the South China Sea as us turtles do. Stay tuned for my next stop and new adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment